As part of an employee background check, your company would like to review a potential hire’s driving record. And, you are wondering how to pull a motor vehicle report in Buffalo, NY. Basically, you have two options. Here’s a quick overview.
Option #1 – Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles
You may request a candidate’s motor vehicle report (MVR) directly from the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles. Either, you can submit a request by mail using the Request for DMV Records (MV-15). Or, you can visit your local DMV office and make the request in person using the Request for Driving Record Information (MV-15C). Fees start at $10. However, under the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act (DPPA), your potential hire must sign a release before you request their driving record. New York State does not allow a person or company to view someone else’s MVR without permission.
- If you only need a driving record (and not a comprehensive background report), this option might make sense;
- You could save money by ordering the report yourself.
- Figuring out DMV forms can be frustrating and time-consuming;
- To remain compliant, your company must adhere to all federal, state and local laws.
Option #2 – Call a Pre-Employment Screening Service
If you’d rather not tackle the Department of Motor Vehicles on your own, you can order driving records through a pre-employment screening service. Usually, background screening providers offer a range of services including criminal record searches, credit reports, academic verifications and, of course, motor vehicle record searches. The screening company will help you complete the necessary paperwork and legal forms, and they even will assist you in understanding the results. To make sure you are partnering with a top-notch screening provider, look for companies accredited by the Professional Background Screening Association (PBSA).
- Background screening specialists will walk you through the process and ensure your organization follows all federal, state and local laws.
- You easily can add additional services to make your background check more complete.
- Screening services cost slightly more than ordering an MVR yourself;
- Some companies may only offer package deals that include more reports than your organization requires.
Are You Looking to Pull Driving Records on Potential Hires in Buffalo, NY?
Metrodata Services is Western New York’s leading pre-employment screening provider. We offer motor vehicle record searches as well as a variety of other background check solutions. Learn how we can help make your hiring process faster and easier!